Insight into The Mendel Chronicles

A writing project by Jeremy Davenport
I want to use this blog to work on my writing skills, and to write something longer than a page or two. One way to do it is by a piece at a time. Blogs is structured much the way I feel like I can write, and so here it is. In your comments, please provide any advice you might have for me to develop my writing skills, and any suggestions you have to improve the story line.

2011-01-13

Author's Comments - Chapters 1, 2, and 3

I thought I'd offer a few thoughts on what I've written so far. I had a really hard time getting the ball rolling on this. It took me a good while to finish the first chapter, and then I spent another long while revising it. I feel like my discussions of technology are a bit long and cumbersome, and almost out of place, as if I were trying too hard to impress my audience, which is rather small at this point.

I'm getting a better handle on the story line, and I feel like I'm finally finding some direction. I know some authors try to outline their novels before writing them, or write pieces and then go back and elaborate-- I have simply been adding to the story line as I see fit. I'm letting the story tell itself through my fingers. I haven't set myself a schedule, and I think about what to write next until something feels right. That's primarily why I have not yet started writing chapter 4. I've been considering elongating Chapter 3, though. I feel like that part of the story isn't quite done yet.

Does anybody have any suggestions to make the story better?

No comments:

Post a Comment